Jyoti Sharma, President FORCE posted this in Jal Rakshak on December 18th, 2009
JAL RAKSHAK’s STOP WATER OVERFLOWS AND ADOPT RAINWATER HARVESTING CAMPAIGN OBJECTIVE
1) To create and build capacities of JAL RAKSHAKs in all 30 pockets (sectors) of Vasant Kunj
2) Under the leadership of the JAL RAKSHAKs, to make each of these pockets
- Water Tank Overflow free and
- Rainwater Harvesting enabled.
JAL RAKSHAK PROFILE
For this campaign the JAL RAKSHAKS will be:
1) Current members of the JAL RAKSHAK community
2) RWA members from various pockets of Vasant Kunj
3) Members of Vasant Kunj ‘Inner Wheel Club’ – the women’s special arm of Rotary International.
The pilot Campaign will be in all sectors of Vasant Kunj viz total of 30 pockets
1) Sector A/A 2) Sector A/B 3) Sector A/C 4) Sector B-1
5) Sector B-2 6) Sector B-3 7) Sector B-4 Sector B-5&6
9) Sector B-7 10) Sector B-8 11) Sector B-9 12) Sector B-10
13) Sector B-11 14) Sector c-1 15) Sector –C-2 16) Sector C-3
17) Sector C-4 18) Sector c-5 19) Sector –C-6 20) Sector C-8
21) Sector c-9 22) Sector –D-1 23) Sector D-2 24) Sector D-3
25) Sector –D-4 26) Sector D-5 27) Sector D-6&7 28) Sector D-8
29) Sector B-9 (LIG) 30) Sector B-9 A
A replicable model of a Community Leader led Partnership model of Water Wastage prevention and Adoption of Rainwater Harvesting would have been created. This project can then be extendd all over Delhi.
1) Significant reduction in tank water overflows in all pockets of Vasant Kunj
2) Significant reduction in other forms of water wastage in Vasant Kunj
3) Maximum recharge potential Rainwater harvesting plans will be ready for all pockets
4) A momentum for Water Conservation and adoption of rainwater harvesting would have been created in Vasant Kunj.
5) A team of JAL RAKSHAKS who will become Water Conservation Ambassadors for other localities in Delhi.
6) A ready team of JAL RAKSHAKs to become a postive interface between residents, government and other partners for implementation of Water Conservation activities in their pockets.
7) Sensitisation of children through their active participation about Water Conservation.
The key beneficiaries of the project will be:
1) Delhi Jal Board – Reduction in wastage of treated supply water and recharge to groundwater of Delhi
2) Residents of Vasant Kunj – More equitable distribution of water supply due to less wastage and better yield from tubewells
3) Environment – Water saving and saving of electricity due to reduced pump running ( for running tubewells and motors)
JAL RAKSHAK CAMPAIGN DETAILS
1) FORCE will identify Community leaders in each of the 30 pockets who are interested in the cause of Water Conservation in each locality
2) Of these, we will appoint 2-4 as JAL RAKSHAKS for each area. Hence a total of 100-120 JAL RAKSHAKs will be appointed in Vasant Kunj
3) The JAL RAKSHAKs could be called for a meeting at the DJB Conference Room where they could interact with the DJB CEO, CE (South), PRO and other concerned officials.
4) In one of the Community Centres of Vasant Kunj, FORCE with support from Delhi Jal Board, Central Groundwater Board and trained plumbers, will conduct Capacity Building sessions for the JAL RAKSHAKS
- TRAINING ON STOPPING WATER OVERFLOWS:
- Water, Electricity and Environment wastage that happens because of overflows
- Communication methods for talking to repeat offenders
iii. Support that can be taken from DJB for warning / penalizing such offenders
- STREET PLAY ON WATER OVERFLOWS & WATER CONSERVATION
- Demonstration of two street plays that we have already staged on the topic of tank overflows and water conservation
- Support to JAL RAKSHAKS to train 4-5 children in each pocket to perform the play at High Visibility locations in the pocket
iii. Script for children and follow up plan to motivate elders to become ‘Water Wise’
- PLUMBER TRAINING ( 1-2 plumbers per locality ) for installing Water-Overflow prevention devices
- If possible, tie up with a manufacturer/supplier of auto cut-off overflow alarms or overflow valves, for discounted supply/installation of such systems.
- RAINWATER HARVESTING
- Need & Potential for groundwater recharge
- Method of making rainwater harvesting plan for the locality
5) Each JAL RAKSHAK to carry out the STOP TANK OVERFLOW AND ADOPT RAINWATER HARVESTING plan in his area
6) Impact Analysis of the Pilot JAL RAKSHAK program through:
- Pre and post campaign comparison of number o households having regular water tank overflows.
- Reach of the project in terms of number of people sensitized to the cause of water conservation
- Number of rainwater harvesting plans made
- Number of rainwater harvesting projects initiated.
- Number of Jal Rakshaks appointed
7) If possible, the Pilot project could conclude with a VIP function where the Honble Chief Minister of Delhi, Smt Sheila Dikshit could be requested to felicitate the JALR AKSHAKs, Children from all pockets who performed the plays and the officials who helped. This opportunity can also be used to call RWAs from other locations and kick-start at similar drive all over Delhi.
5 months – December 15 2009 to April 15, 2010.